Motorbike Nuisance in Reading -Update

Alert message sent 13/09/2021 14:42:00

Information sent on behalf of Thames Valley Police

Since the launch of Reading Borough Council’s Reportable ASB App in July 2021, we have received 38 reports of motorbike nuisance. Reports received have been shared with the police, and collectively we have been able to identify some of the problematic riders across the borough. So far, four tenancy warnings have been issued during this period in relation to incidents of motorbike nuisance in McIlroy’s Park, Lyndhurst Road, Rodway Road in Tilehurst and Courage Park, Coley.
Reading Borough Council’s ASB Team and the Police continue to work in partnership to tackle motorbike nuisance across the borough. Collectively, we continue to assess and analyse the reports of motorbike nuisance received from the public.
Motorbike Nuisance
Riding quad and scrambler bikes
Scramblers and quads are motorised leisure vehicles designed for off-road use. You must not drive one on a public road unless you are at least 16 years old and have a driving licence. You can only drive one on private land if the landowner allows you to drive there.
Motorbike nuisance and off-road motorbike nuisance can be dangerous and annoying for local residents.  Reading Borough Council and Thames Valley Police are committed to tackling this type of nuisance but rely on residents to report it when it occurs.
The law what can the Police do?
Section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002
The Police have the powers to seize motorbikes, motorised scooters, mini motorbikes or similar forms of motorised transport that are used to cause a nuisance in neighbourhoods. If a vehicle is being driven in a manner causing harassment, alarm, distress or annoyance on land without permission or without due care and attention, the Police can:
Order a person to stop driving the vehicle

Seize and remove the vehicle
To ride a bike on the road it must be especially built for road use. The rider would have to be over 16 and will need registration documents, MOT, road tax, insurance, a licence and an approved crash helmet.
What can the Council do?
If you live in social housing, then your tenancy could be at risk if someone in your household is involved in anti-social behaviour associated with motorbike nuisance.
Misusing vehicles off-road
While quad bikes, three-wheeled bikes, trail bikes and some other two-wheeled vehicles are built for off-road use, it is against the law to ride them in public parks or on publicly owned land without permission from the local authority. As with unlicensed powered vehicles, these can only be used on private roads or land with the road or landowner’s permission.
If you are experiencing this problem: - 
Contact the ASB Team on (0118) 9373787 or via alternatively download and use the Reportable app.
Contact the Police on (101) Non-Emergency number or report online via:

Message sent by
Liz Herbert (Police, NHW & Community Messaging Co-ordinator, Reading LPA)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.